Saturday, March 30, 2013

Chitwan National Park

-->
Today I said goodbye to the Children’s home, was such an awesome experience for me.
Me and a few of the kids :)

I’m still in awe at how eager the kids are to learn, they get so much done during homework time, it’s incredible. I can’t imagine seeing anything like that in NZ schools. I’ve put the question “what do you want to be when you grow up?” has answered with doctor, I get that it’s the answer they think I want to hear but they really do work so hard… much more motivated than I was in school! I took Maya, Dev and Adam (the three that run the home) out for a meal as a thank you to OR2K, it’s a pretty good vegetarian restaurant in the Tourist area of Kathmandu, always pretty busy :)

Dev, me, Maya & Adam at OR2K for dinner


The weekend before last I got a bus from Kathmandu to Chitwan National Park. It was the most terrifying drive of my life, the road winds down hills and there's a 200m cliff drop without any kind of barrier. As the German guy behind me put it “It’s like a rollercoaster but better ‘cause it’s dangerous!” Nepal is apparently home to one of the World’s Most Dangerous Roads and that is definitely one of them! We survived and arrived at the Rainbow Safari Resort, it was so so terrible, that it was funny, my room didn’t have a ceiling, it was thatched and huge clumps of dirt would fall out, one landed on the pillow next to me! The food was pretty bad & one woman spent the first night very unwell after eating lunch and dinner. I made friends with a Dutch couple who thankfully spoke fantastic English and we made the most of it. (I expected it to be bad and not as nice as the brochure but I really should have lowered my expectation haha). The activities however were fantastic! The dugout canoe was similar to the idea of a waka although less stable and we floated down the river in the morning mist spotting crocodiles and brightly coloured birds. After visiting the baby elephants at the breeding ground we went down to the water for my warmest shower yet!



The jeep safari was the first time we actually crossed the river and into the National Park. It was a bumpy four hour drive through the jungle and we spotted a couple of rhinos,


More gorgeous birds including peacocks in flight!
There were deer and a bear and even more crocodiles but the definite highlight for the 7 of us was seeing a wild tiger. I’ve seen and touched plenty for captive cats but to see such a powerful animal so close and so free was a serious highlight! 


I think it’s been the fantastic people that I’ve met this trip that have made me fall in love with Nepal, even the taxi drivers are awesome! I had a great rickshaw experience this morning and many of the waiters and shopkeepers are so friendly and helpful. Admittedly I have met a few assholes but no one too horrible! Bumped into a fellow kiwi this morning, she’s just finished the Everest Base Camp trek that I am doing tomorrow and has kindly lent me her waterproof pants! Apparently there will be snow on the mountain!  I’m very nervous but definitely excited to give it a go! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hello from France
    I am very happy to welcome you!
    Your blog has been accepted in Asia Kyrgyzstan N° 11 and Oceania New Zealand N°79 and Nepal N°26 a minute!
    We ask you to follow the blog "Directory"
    Following our blog will gives you twice as many possibilities of visits to your blog!
    Thank you for your understanding.
    On the right side, in the "green list", you will find all the countries and if you click them, you will find the names of blogs from that Country.
    Invite your friends to join us in the "directory"!
    The creation of this new blog "directory" allows a rapprochement between different countries, a knowledge of different cultures and a sharing of different traditions, passions, fashion, paintings, crafts, cooking,
    photography and poetry. So you will be able to find in different countries other people with passions similar to your ones.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world.
    The more people will join, the more opportunities everyone will have. And yes, I confess, I need people to know this blog!
    You are in some way the Ambassador of this blog in your Country.
    This is not a personal blog, I created it for all to enjoy.
    SO, you also have to make it known to your contacts and friends in your blog domain: the success of this blog depends on all Participants.
    So, during your next comments with your friends, ask them to come in the 'Directory' by writing in your comments:
    *** I am in the directory come join me! ***
    You want this directory to become more important? Help me to make it grow up!
    Your blog is in the list Asia Kyrgyzstan N° 11 and Oceania New Zealand N°79 and Nepal N°26 and I hope this list will grow very quickly
    Regards
    Chris
    We ask that you follow our blog and place a badge of your choice on your blog, in order to introduce the "directory" to your friends.
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/06/12090603083012502810288938.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/19/120319072128505749603643.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/07/12/12071211040212502810092867.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/28/120328020518505749640557.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/15/1203150723211250289584870.png
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/21/12092110155912502810343002.gif

    If you want me to know the blog of your friends, send me their urls which allows a special badge in the list of your country
    I see that you know many people in your country, you can try to get them in the directory?
    Please! Actively support the "Directory" by making known to your friends! Thank you! "Unity is strength"
    Not need an invitation to join the Directory. Any person who makes the request is entered
    WE ASK YOU TO FOLLOW OUR BLOG "DIRECTORY"
    New on the site
    Ranking of Countries
    Invite your friends know made ??
    the website to raise your ranking in the Country

    ReplyDelete